Friday, November 2, 2012

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Not something I like to do in general. In this case though, I have a feeling it's going to be a good decision. Thanks to a few facebook buddies (Kelly Mellen in particular) I was challenged to participate in 30 Days of Thankfulness.

Last month I discovered a gem of a book and blog called This Ordinary Adventure written by the Jeskes which I highly recommend. I was needing some inspiration in a bad way and got it in droves. They have a thing called "Amazing Days" and challenged people for the month of October to live out 31 Amazing Days. You'll have to read for yourself but their definition of "amazing" is very loose. They basically encourage you not to try to be "amazing" but to recognize the "amazing" in each day. I jumped on that bandwagon a little late in the month but this exercise will be a natural extension of that way of thinking and living.

My challenge to myself this month is to recognize something each day that I wouldn't initially say I'm thankful for but in reality I truly am (see more below).

My challenge for our family was to name something we are thankful for each day and write it down. We created our own version of a thankfulness tree and started it tonight from branches in our backyard and leaves cut out from construction paper. (Our pumpkins are still alive and well as you can see but Tim has some pumpkin chunkin plans for tomorrow.)
A little bare now but will look amazing by the end of the month

On our leaves tonight you ask???
Tim: that mommy (that's me) is home (for now)
Briahnna: a heater that works in 30 degree weather (this SoCal girl likes to be cozy in the mornings)
Jadyn: a delicious dinner (I cooked so that made me happy because we all know Tim is the chef)
Isaiah: that hurricane Sandy wasn't as bad as it could have been (he didn't come up with that on his own, his sister gave him the idea)

I won't be posting every day, but frequently I hope. And they won't be as long as this one (you can breathe a sigh of relief) or necessarily written beautifully or even grammatically correct for that matter. But I hope to finish out the month with an understanding of just how good life is and share it with you. So here goes.

Day One: I am thankful that I live in Georgia. If you know me you know this is often a hard thing for me to say and to really mean. So why am I thankful to live in Georgia?
~Because we are able to own an amazing home with amazing neighbors like the Jayasekars and the Newlands.
~Because we get to have jobs doing things we are passionate about and feel called to AND work with incredible people (too numerous to list but you at Kincaid and Ridgeview know who you are). ~Because our kids can be in class sizes under 30 students (for now).
~Because there are actual seasons, Fall is my favorite.
~Because we found a church Northstar that is the most giving church we have ever been a part of and through our time there have met our substitute family in people like the Furrs, Kaisers, Nelsons, Kibbes, Torberts, Fishers, and Kehlers.
~Because I met my MNO buddies Carrie and Emily (also GA transplants)
~Because I get to live closer to my Mom and Avalon and Gabriel than I can ever remember being

I know there are probably many other reasons but it's almost midnight and my brain is getting foggy so I'll end this here and hope that as others have inspired me this will inspire you (if even just for this moment) to take stock and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment